Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I completed my California state tax refund on January 30th and efiled. Why is it still have pending status throughTurboTax?

So that $300 Federal for charitable contributions may have messed us up?  Wow, Turtotax should have caught this!!!  Well, praying all goes well and Calif FTB is OK with it.....

I completed my California state tax refund on January 30th and efiled. Why is it still have pending status throughTurboTax?

@mslatinlady the $300 is a new deduction this year, Turbo Tax is applying it correctly.  FTB's CalFile, does not have an entry to account for this $300, although the instructions for the Schedule CA clearly says that it must be added back into your gross income.  CalFile does not ask for information from the Schedule CA, it asks for information from the 1040A.  In this case CalFile is incorrect in not allowing an entry to compensate for the new $300 IRS deduction.   

If someone doesn't claim the $300 with the IRS then CalFile will probably work just fine for their taxes, but you get more money back in the long run with the IRS deduction.

Let me clarify. I meant to say I completed my return not refund. My federal like everyone else was stuck in a pending status. TT rejected the return back to me. I decided not to fix the return. I filed my return with the FTB directly on their site. I submitted a refund request from TT for the State return. I feel they should have done more testing before releasing the state form to the public. There is obviously some type of coding error within the systems interface.

Not applicable if the standard deduction was taken for Fed and State.

My concern is for the people who’s returns were transmitted before the error was identified.

From all of the postings, there was an issue with the Turbotax software.  Apparently, the issue was resolved on or about 2/18 and many individuals who had posted issues re CA FTB advised their returns were accepted.  My returns were filed on 2/12 and FTB accepted it on 2/18.

If you are still having problems, here is a link which may help:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

For  Johmcw -- I know that there is a new $300 charitable contribution deduction that the Feds allowed if a person takes the Standard Deduction on the Federal return.  So if I filed my Federal through Turbotax and also filed my state of California through Turbotax, I'm assuming that Turbotax calculated everything on the state side correctly ?  (I did not use CalFile to do my state return). 

Although I think the bottom line is OK, I’m having a hard time tracing the logic of how TT handled the reduced AGI and the $300 charitable donation in my CA return. I know it’s in the CA adjustments. My concern is that some of the figures that link from one tax form to another link to a different figure.. Think I’ll review for a few more days and then will put my trust in TT and send them off.

I guess if California says we owe them a little $$ because of the $300 Federal charitable contribution, then Calif will let us know.  For now, my Calif return was successfully transmitted and Accepted, thank God.  And I used the status tracker on the California FTB and it's in the "processing" stage.  Prayers all is well !!!  (But this sure was a big mess this year with the TurboTax glitch !!!!!)

PLUS:  Next year (if I end up purchasing Turbotax again), I think I'll wait until March to submit.  Give Turbotax time to address any problems.  Plus I'll check these message boards FIRST, before e-filing !!)

I’m glad some of you have gotten to resubmit to CA Return. Mine has been pending for a week now. I emailed the CEO just like others in this thread to on  OT get the canned response and forwarded the another office with another canned response of I’ll have instructions within 24-48 hours. Just like some others in this thread.... unfortunately, my 48 hours has gone by... no update from TT and my return still pending. I hope it’s my turn soon and mine gets rejected so that I can resubmit. 

@mslatinlady   Yes, I also believe, based on going through the CA tax instructions that TurboTax has calculated the California amounts correctly.

Turbotax transmitted my CA and Federal returns on 2/13/2021 and the Federal one was quickly accepted.  The CA one is still pending 8 days later.  This has never happened in the over 20 years I have been using Turbotax.  I talked to the CA Franchise Tax Board.  They said this is a Turbotax software glitch as other software prepared electronic returns are going through.  They said it is NOT true that the delay is on their end for having to scan returns on their end before accepting.  The Turbo Tax returns like mine in CA are simply not passing through to the stat of CA.  We all on this thread need a fast software fix on the TurboTax side to get these passed to CA.  This is ridiculous now.  My refund has already been delayed over a week now!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Although the average return stays pending for 24-48 hours it sometimes can take longer. More explanation on why your return may still be pending has been provided for you by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

LindsayLO from Turbotax -- STOP misleading these poor taxpayers that you will send them an email in 48 hours on how to correct.  Many of use did receive your email a few days ago and we corrected our California returns, submitted, efile, were "Accepted" and the Calif FTB has in fact our returns in their system.  But these other people keep pleading with you TurboTax for your help.  PLEASE REMEDY THIS FOR THEM TOO !  Bless us all..

And Johnmcw -- Yes I believe our California returns calculated the $300 Federal charitable contribution correctly.  Thank you Lord !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies