Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I completed my California state tax refund on January 30th and efiled. Why is it still have pending status throughTurboTax?

Well well well! After all these weeks and all these complaints they FINALLY looked at their software! Really really really bad customer service! 

Email I just received: Sitting here shaking my head!! 

What happened

CA_Itemized - We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software.
some
Returning Member

I completed my California state tax refund on January 30th and efiled. Why is it still have pending status throughTurboTax?

After calling and emailing people, I finally got this,

"

Description of error:
We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software.
What needs to be done:
Your California tax return wasn't e-filed due to a potential issue in the return. There's a possibility you may be able to get additional California deductions that weren't available when you initially filed because of an error in our software. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any of the following expenses, we'll help you claim them and get your return filed: Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. If you don't qualify for these expenses, all you need to do is re-submit your tax return. What do I do next? If you're using TurboTax online: - Sign in to your TurboTax account. - Select Federal (left menu), and then Deductions & Credits (top menu). - Visit the following topics if you have potential expenses that may apply: Other Investment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. - After entering any additional expenses, go to your California return by selecting State (left menu). - Select Edit for California, then select Let's check it over. We'll calculate any changes automatically. - E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing again). If you're using a CD or downloaded version of TurboTax: - Update TurboTax (visit our Support Site if you need help updating). - Sign in to your TurboTax account. - Select the Federal tab, then select Deductions & Credits. - Visit the following topics if you have potential expenses that may apply: Other Investment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. - After entering any additional expenses, go to your California return by selecting the State Taxes tab. - Select California, then select Let's check it over. We'll calculate any changes automatically. - E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing again).

"

There was nothing for me to fix, my CA return stayed the same after reviewing, just asked me to resubmit. So TT delayed my CA submission for nothing. I've already filed with myFTB for free. I will ask for a refund.

I just got this email & text:

Your 2020 California Personal return was rejected This happens from time to time, but we're here to help.  We'll walk you through updating and e-filing your return every step of the way.

I was able to resend just now (February 18th). There were no errors, software issue, just allowed me to resend.

I was just notified this afternoon that my California state tax return was rejected: "We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software." I followed the instructions to open the software, check specific items in the federal return, then re-submit the state return (at no additional charge). 

No idea how widespread these software errors were, so I don't know how many TurboTax users in California will be affected by this. 

Got the same notice and refiled. Hoping it works this time. I really have no issue with there being problems getting all the updates programmed and tested. My very serious heartburn has to do with 3 things; very disappointing customer service (they hadn’t a clue and didn’t believe me), absolutely no communication to us users alerting us to the problem along with an occasional update (until we started filling up the head dudes inbox it was crickets) and, lastly, they still have not admitted that this problem was on their end. The last point will likely cause me to seriously consider an alternative next year - I can accept mistakes/problems if you own up but to “wag the dog” hoping nobody notices is the kill shot for me (integrity is important in my world...). 

I just got an email from Turbo Tax stating my CA returns got rejected due to something on Tubro taxes side and I had to resubmit. 

LSDMD

I have used TurboTax since the time it was introduced in 1984 as MacInTax (later sold to Intuit). Although I was very disturbed to learn today that my CA state Tax Return had been rejected due to what Intuit acknowledges as  their software error, I think it important to note the following (1) This is the first software error and filing problem I have had since 1984!... a great track record... and... (2) I was notified of the problem as well as how to fix the return and repeat the eFile (at no cost).... Now for the BIG TEST.... Having followed the instructions in the Intuit eMail and the TurboTax software.... Will the eFile of my CA Return this afternoon be accepted?.... If yes, I give Intuit a lot of credit.... If not......

I have that same issue.  I have no clue how to resolve it.  The bot helper is of no use whatsoever.  

@elduderino1971 , did you not receive an email from Intuit? I received an email that told me to open the TurboTax software, then the software provided me with specific instructions on what to do. 

Looks like things are finally moving in the right direction.

TurboTax finally had CA reject the return, 

and now I have successfully been able to resubmit it without any changes on my part,

hopefully it will be accepted at FTB in a few hours.

this is accurate. turbotax software wasn’t updated for some possible deductions. i just got mine rejected today for that reason

Only the same one everyone else seemed to have received but I don't have confidence that just refiling will resolve the issue because I don't know what the issue even was.  The IRS has no issue with it and accepted it.  CA originally accepted it, then I got the CA_Itemized email. Not sure how they helped me when I opened my CA return.  There was no actual error evident and I can't fathom how they've helped me in identifying one. Is it an issue in the return or an error with the software? Both are listed as what went wrong. 

What happened

CA_Itemized - We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software.

Next step

We'll help you update this on your 2020 California Personal return and e-file.

Description of error:
We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software.

What needs to be done:
Your California tax return wasn't e-filed due to a potential issue in the return. There's a possibility you may be able to get additional California deductions that weren't available when you initially filed because of an error in our software. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any of the following expenses, we'll help you claim them and get your return filed: Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. If you don't qualify for these expenses, all you need to do is re-submit your tax return. What do I do next? If you're using TurboTax online: - Sign in to your TurboTax account. - Select Federal (left menu), and then Deductions & Credits (top menu). - Visit the following topics if you have potential expenses that may apply: Other Investment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. - After entering any additional expenses, go to your California return by selecting State (left menu). - Select Edit for California, then select Let's check it over. We'll calculate any changes automatically. - E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing again). If you're using a CD or downloaded version of TurboTax: - Update TurboTax (visit our Support Site if you need help updating). - Sign in to your TurboTax account. - Select the Federal tab, then select Deductions & Credits. - Visit the following topics if you have potential expenses that may apply: Other Investment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses, Tax Preparation Fees, Moving Expenses, Casualties and Thefts, or Legal Fees. - After entering any additional expenses, go to your California return by selecting the State Taxes tab. - Select California, then select Let's check it over. We'll calculate any changes automatically. - E-file your return (you won't be charged for e-filing again).

The return was never sent to CA.

i think this may be just for turbo tax to disclose that those certain deductions weren’t accounted for so if it doesn’t pertain to you then they’ll submit it. but who knows

Guess I'll just refile.  Seems as if this is a glitch and nothing is actually wrong with my return?  Who knows.  If it gets rejected again I'll repost here. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies