Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my federal return; I forgot to enter state taxes paid from a 1099R. Changing my fed changed my state return. Do I need to file an amended state return?

it changes my state from owing to getting a return. Right now, as is, my state return still shows that I owe
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I amended my federal return; I forgot to enter state taxes paid from a 1099R. Changing my fed changed my state return. Do I need to file an amended state return?

You would have to file an amended state return if the amended state return showed you owing additional tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply.  If I don't own any tax, I just need to amend the fed level, right?  I can ignore the state level amends.  Is that correct? 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don’t appear to be the original poster here.  Do you have the same situation as the OP, where they had forgotten to enter their state taxes paid on their Form 1099-R?

The way I’m reading that question – and I may be wrong – is that they overlooked entering their state withholding from the Form 1099-R, so if they entered it on their amended return, they’d have a refund coming on their state return, as opposed to federal.  In that case, they’d only need to file their state return, since nothing would change on their federal tax return.

Does that make sense to you?  Is that your scenario?

@liaoweien

Thanks a lot for your reply. I did a mega roth401k in California. Do I need to do a state amend for the 1099r as well? Or only the fed level amend is good enough.  Thanks in advance.

If the amendment changes anything that you filed to the state, most states require that you also amend the state. Look at it this way, if you had not missed anything on the original Fed, would that have changed anything on the state return? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies