turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AD2019

How I pay interest on 1040 late payment

I owe more than I paid with 4868 extension. I used IRS calculator to get amount of penalty and interest. How can I pay them with my final tax return e-filing? I know that TurboTax calculated penalty, however it is different from IRS calculator amount; I don't see a way to enter interest at all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

What is generally recommended is that you don't try to calculate any additional interest or penalty.  Just go ahead and file your return as you have prepared it.  The IRS will calculate any interest or additional penalty and notify you of additional payment due.

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

There is no way for you or Turbo Tax to calculate any interest.  It is determined by exactly when the IRS get your tax due payment. Just let the IRS bill you for any more. 

AD2019

Thank you for your reply, I think I have to wait for another bill from IRS. I also assume that the answer to my actual question is: "TurboTax does not support entering correct penalty and interest even when I know the exact numbers". Both numbers are not very difficult to get from IRS calculator.

This is disappointing. By the time IRS will bill me, additional fees will likely accumulate. It further  means that TurboTax makes it impossible to file extended tax report at once -- I need to wait for additional bill from IRS and make another payment before I can declare taxes completed.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Actually, you need to go ahead and file your tax return as it has been calculated by TurboTax.  Don't wait any longer.  After you've filed and your return has been accepted, the IRS will calculate any additional penalty and interest and will bill you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

@AD2019 wrote:

Thank you for your reply, I think I have to wait for another bill from IRS. I also assume that the answer to my actual question is: "TurboTax does not support entering correct penalty and interest even when I know the exact numbers". Both numbers are not very difficult to get from IRS calculator.

This is disappointing. By the time IRS will bill me, additional fees will likely accumulate. It further  means that TurboTax makes it impossible to file extended tax report at once -- I need to wait for additional bill from IRS and make another payment before I can declare taxes completed.

If you are late and interest and penalties apply then ONLY the IRS can calculate that since it depends on the actual day that the IRS receives and processes your payment.   ONLY the IRS can know that.  Interest and late charges can NEVER be paid in advance - only the IRS can bill you for those.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You post doesn't make sense.  You don't wait for anything.  You need to pay the tax due as soon as soon as possible.  You actually need to make an estimated payment when you file the extension by April 15.  The IRS doesn't bill you and won't bill you for the interest until they get your return and tax due payment.  The interest stops accumulating as soon as the IRS gets your tax due payment.  Then they calculate the extra interest if any and bill you.

And even if you or Turbo Tax adds it on line 23 it is only an estimate.  It's common and expected for the IRS to bill you for more depending on when they actually get your payment.  Or even send you a refund for some.

Ok ... Turbotax ONLY calculates an ESTIMATED underpayment penalty and once you have filed the Feds/State will bill you for any unpaid taxes from the return PLUS any additional underpayment penalty  PLUS any failure to pay penalty PLUS interest on same.   The faster you pay the balance due the less penalty and interest will be charged. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies