Re: How do I give back the money for an erroneous ...
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

How do I give back the money for an erroneous refund if after amending now I owe money?

I filed a resident form by mistake when I should have filed a non-resident form. 

My refund has been accepted and I'm getting more than $1500 on my account soon. 

I know that I have to wait until the money is on my account before amending, but after using Sprintax to do the calculation I actually owe money (less than $200) and don't get any refund. So how can I give the money back and also include the money I actually owe? Can I do it in the same amendment form or do I need to do something different to give the original refund back?

If I can do both with the same amendment form, can I attach a check including the total (the erroneous refund plus the taxes I owe) or do I need to write two separate checks?


Thanks for the help!

1 Reply
Level 15

How do I give back the money for an erroneous refund if after amending now I owe money?

You don't send back the original refund.  You put everything on the amendment form.  The amendment form should ask you if you received a refund with your original return.  You would say Yes, then the amendment would calculate any taxes owed with the changes you made.  Amended returns must be mailed.


The reason you wait until your original return is fully processed & refund received before you amend is that the IRS (& State) may catch some errors & send you a notice.


If you want to find out from the IRS you can contact them


Maybe the following will help you get to a real person with the IRS, it has helped others

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.

- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Privacy Settings