Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I amend 2020 federal which has been accepted

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. Select Amend a filed return.
  3. Select the return you want to amend, and follow the instructions to make your changes.

In the CD/Download edition, after clicking "Amend a filed return", it's never prompting you to select a return.

@DawnC 

From the link you provided (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m... "There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return."  The bolded clause is MY SITUAITION!  I need to file an amended return because it will make me (the taxpayer) newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on my original tax return.  TurboTax's online software is not allowing me to do what the IRS is telling me I need to do in a document that you pointed out to me.   Perhaps, TurboTax should refund the money I paid to them for the privilege of using their software and I can just file a paper amended return myself if your team can't get it together?  

Respectfully

@DawnC 

You and TurboTax folks do understand that a taxpayer may need to both file an amended return to apply new tax credits that reduce that person's taxes AND have unemployment income?  They are not mutually exclusive situations in my case.  Just because someone makes over $150,000 a year, does not make them or their family immune to circumstances that cause unemployment.  I get the feeling that someone at TurboTax does not understand that concept or it is some underhanded way for someone at TurboTax to try to shame people.  It feels very icky that I have to beg you to include this simple functionality, yet here we are.  We should not have to beg you to produce software that actually works.

Best

@steinjd wrote:

@DawnC 

You and TurboTax folks do understand that a taxpayer may need to both file an amended return to apply new tax credits that reduce that person's taxes AND have unemployment income?  They are not mutually exclusive situations in my case.  Just because someone makes over $150,000 a year, does not make them or their family immune to circumstances that cause unemployment.  I get the feeling that someone at TurboTax does not understand that concept or it is some underhanded way for someone at TurboTax to try to shame people.  It feels very icky that I have to beg you to include this simple functionality, yet here we are.  We should not have to beg you to produce software that actually works.

Best

The IRS directions say that if you already filed and claimed credits then if the Rescue Plan increases those credits, you do not need to do anything - the IRS will adjust those credits.

HOWEVER, if your original tax return did not claim those credits at all, then you must amend to claim them.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes, but TurboTax is not allowing us to.  This is the message I am getting when I need choose to amend 2020 (see below).  My return was accepted, filed and I was sent a refund over a month ago.  I don't think TurboTax understands that I need to add an additional contribution to my IRA to get under the $150,000 threshold so all of this applies to me.

Your return isn't ready to be amended yet
The IRS is making some updates that change how we support amended returns that include unemployment. Learn more
We'll be updating our product after we have IRS guidance on the best way to file amended returns so they can be processed quickly and accurately.

The IRS has a tool that will determine whether or not you ought to amend your tax return. Here is the link.

The recovery rebate isn't listed in TurboTax because we are still waiting for guidance from the IRS.   

TurboTax is developing the software required to process all of the new conditions.

Here is a TurboTax article about the American Rescue Plan

@PayPerPeddler

What I am worried about is that we will not get a stimulus payment even if we amend.  Does anybody know if we will still have a chance or do we miss out?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. 

• If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account, make the changes to your tax return, and re-submit your return.
  • If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return.

IMPORTANT:

If you did not receive the first or second stimulus payments, then you can amend your return to include the Rebate Recovery Credit.  Once you have activated the 1040X: 

1. Click Federal Review at the top of your screen.
  2. On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  3. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.
  4. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to. This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

If you did not receive the third stimulus check, do NOT amend your return.  Your payment may still be issued.  For information on when/if you can expect your stimulus payment, check the IRS Get My Payment tool.

The IRS has not yet issued guidance on whether they will automatically make adjustments for the third stimulus payment or add a credit to the 2021 tax return for those who did not receive the entire payment they were due.  We will continue to post current information in this TurboTax article:  :  How will the third stimulus impact me?

Please see the instructions contained in these TurboTax articles to amend your return: 

IMPORTANT:  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed.

markmorrison
Returning Member

After filing my 2020 taxes in February of this year, 2020, I discovered that we hadn't included our social security income.  Upon this discovery I returned to; Turbo-Tax,  and filled out an amended tax form for both Federal, & Missouri State tax return.  Both Federal $).00 and Missouri $8.00.  After both were amended I send Federal amended form via  e-mail to Federal and was in the process of getting an envelope prepared to send Missouri State return, I found a rejected notice from Federal.  Now  I am struggling to fid out why the rejection, and how can I fix the problem?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Was the rejection for the original return or for the amended return?  Take a look at the notice to see:

1. If it references your return or your amended return; and
  2. what the rejection message says.  There should be an explanation along with information on correcting the error.

If the original return was rejected, you can go back in, make the changes to add the social security income, and e-file the return again.  It the amended return was rejected, the notice should explain what to do.

I stated that I had received the 2nd economic impact payment but I never received that payment.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you have not received the second stimulus, please check to see if there is an amount on Line 30 of your 1040. The Recovery Rebate Credit is for taxpayers who, based on their 2020 return, are eligible for an increased amount of the first two stimulus payments they received. 

If not and you are eligible to receive the payment (requirements listed below), then you should amend your return. To do so, please follow the instructions on the page How do I amend my 2020 return?

Once you elect to amend, please follow the steps below:

1. With your return open, search for stimulus with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  2. Select the Jump to Stimulus in the search results to directly go to correct TurboTax page.
  3. You will come to a page titled Let's double-check the amount you received and it will list the first-round and second-round payments based on your 2020 return.
  4. Answer No for the question, Is this what you received? 
  5. Enter the amounts of the first and second round stimulus payments you received. I have attached a screenshot below for additional guidance. 

Your Recovery Rebate Credit will be the difference between what you were qualified for on your 2020 tax return less the amount of your first and second stimulus payments you have already received.

If the Recovery Rebate Credit is still not showing, then please review the requirements below to ensure you, your spouse and your dependents (if applicable) do qualify to receive the stimulus payment.

To qualify, you must:

• Be a US citizen or resident alien.
  • Not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return. 
  • Have an 2020 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint. If your AGI is above this amount, your payment will be reduced. 

In addition, per the IRS, to be a qualifying child of an individual for purposes of the payment, generally the individual must live with the child for more than half of the tax year, the child must not provide over half of his or her own support for the calendar year, and the child must not file a joint return for the tax year. The child also must be the individual’s child, stepchild, eligible foster child, sibling, grandchild, niece, or nephew.  In addition, to be claimed as a qualifying child, the child must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other qualifying resident alien. The child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment. Also, a qualifying child must have an SSN valid for employment or an adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN). A child who has an ITIN is not a qualifying child for this payment.

For more information, please see Calculating the Economic Impact Payment.

@Trident50C

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have an issue where upon preparing amendments to the Federal return (all I needed to do was to add non-deductible IRA basis to trigger form 8606) TT on-line goes through final federal validations, ask to confirm presidential fund, and uncommon situations and then... goes to Let's start your State return screen. I have only filed Federal and deleted auto-generated State shell earlier (because I file state manually). So I only need to amend Federal. How do I get the on-line version out of the loop of kicking off State in the process of Federal amendment? Or what am I missing as far as the process to submit federal amendment (alas, the on-line FAQ doesn't say anything about how it is submitted). Thank you.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. In your amendment process, select the state tab in the left hand side of your screen. Scroll past the first screen and delete your state return in the screen that says status of your state returns. See if that works.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need to delete one of the charitable donations on my 2020 tax return with has already been submitted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies