turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forgot to add my prepaid state taxes to the return, now what?

Using TurboTax Business/Individual, for 2021 taxes, I correctly added in my prepaid federal taxes, but I forgot to add in my pre-paid state taxes. My state (Colorado) just made me aware of this, as I essentially double paid my state taxes for 2021, so I will be getting a refund. It seems at this time the state does not require me to refile my return with the revised calculations, just send in verification of payments made.

So the question is, if the prepayment of state taxes was not added to the TurboTax Federal forms, do I need to file an amended federal return with the pre-paid state taxes added, even though there is no additional federal taxes or federal refunds if I do so? I am wondering if this will impact my 2022 returns in any possible way.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If the only state tax payment that you omitted was made in 2022, it will not affect your 2021 federal tax return, so there is no reason to file an amended federal tax return.

When you file your 2022 tax return, if you use itemized deductions on your 2022 federal tax return you should enter the state tax payment that you made in 2022 so it will be included in your itemized deduction for state and local taxes. If your itemized deductions will not be more than your standard deduction, the state tax payment will not affect your 2022 federal tax return.

Since the payment was for 2021 state tax, it will not affect your 2022 state tax return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did you itemize with Schedule A?

you only list state taxes paid when you itemize deductions.

Also it depends on which year you made the payment.

Fanfare,

Thank you for the reply. I used the standard deduction, not itemized. 

The pre-payment of taxes, for the 2021 tax year, was in January 2022 (4th qtr).

I assume then I do not need to file an amended federal return at this time. Correct?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If the only state tax payment that you omitted was made in 2022, it will not affect your 2021 federal tax return, so there is no reason to file an amended federal tax return.

When you file your 2022 tax return, if you use itemized deductions on your 2022 federal tax return you should enter the state tax payment that you made in 2022 so it will be included in your itemized deduction for state and local taxes. If your itemized deductions will not be more than your standard deduction, the state tax payment will not affect your 2022 federal tax return.

Since the payment was for 2021 state tax, it will not affect your 2022 state tax return.

RJS & Fanfare,

Thank you both. I didn't want to test the IRS's sense of humor and forgiveness. 😄  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies