turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forced use of Credit Karma

As a long-time customer of Turbo-tax, this year's forced use of Credit Karma to track one's return is an epic fail and will end my customer relationship with TurboTax and intuit. 

Further, the complete inability to get to any form of customer service other than this discussion board is really disappointing.  At a minimum, I'm hoping whoever is monitoring this discussion board can let me know how I can tell a status of my filings without sending my entire tax return over to Credit Karma?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

161 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This is an option for customers. If you are wanting to transfer your tax information from TurboTax to Credit Karma, in order to file your taxes with them, you would need to check with Credit Karma on how to go about doing so.

You do not have to join Credit Karma to track your refund. You should track your refund with the IRS as they are the agency that will be issuing it. Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS

How do I check my e-file status?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The language upon filing is deceptive at best seemingly saying you must file with Credit Karma.  In past years it  was simple and TurboTax themselves would do the filing and the status updates.  No nonsense with other third parties and the level of upsell garbage was intrusive in addition to the Credit Karma non-sense.  A terrible experience overall this year

I had the same exact reaction.  It is presented deceptively as the final step in completing your taxes, and it's in fact a trick to sign you up to access credit reports and give authority for credit karma to do that.  TurboTax has become increasingly tricky toward its customers during the filing and payment process, and I'm looking at alternatives for this reason.   Not filing for my second taxpayer on Turbotax now. 

Agreed with what others have said above. In fact, I signed up to community to reinforce that Intuit has created a superb product with Turbo Tax, but takes a black eye on trust with this deceptive up-sell maneuver. They got me last year and I cancelled my Credit Karma account right away after I realized what had happened.

Apparently, they're at it again with the deception—this time adding "track your filing status" to the reason people should sign-up to Credit Karma. It implies that if you want to track your filing status, you need to sign up. This is, of course, untrue, since Turbo Tax tracks and notifies you of your filing status.

Hopefully, other users see this thread so they don't get duped—or at the least, know they got duped and can pursue the option of cancelling the Credit Karma account if they so wish.

joel_s

I felt the same way when I read the last page.  I thought it looked fishy.  One quick google search confirmed this suspicion.  Agree 100% that it was deceptive, and not in the best interest of the customer.  I am a long-term Turbotax user; I use the product because I trust the process and content provided.  This kind of deceptive marketing is a real turn-off, and gives me significant concern about the product and the trust I can put into Intuit and its products.

That's me, too.

I want to cancel but it's so hectic, I couldn't.

Please help me cancel my membership to Credit Karma.'

Thank you.

Les Ihara

Hi Les… if I recall correctly, I submitted a support ticket via Credit Karma's support system.

I found this URL via Google:

https://support.creditkarma.com/s/newcase

Here is how to get around this disastrous forced signup with Credit Karma.  

Hit back arrow on browserVoila!  You're at the completion screen.

Thanks for not answering the question SForrestLO. 

Mark me as Best Answer!

I refinanced by home in 2012 just to reduce the interest rate. Did not take cash out. My tax situation has not changed in the last three years. Only the amounts are different. My mortgage interest is not limited. I was able to deduct it in 2018 and 2019. Your tax program will not let me deduct the mortgage interest for 2020. I compared the 2020 Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet with the 2019 worksheet. They match. But still not allowed to deduct for 2020. I followed some of comments on the community forum and put 0 for the outstanding mortgage principle in box 2. Gave me an error; have to have an amount. Another suggestion was to put $1. This fixed the problem but does not match the 1098 that will be submitted to the Feds. I should not have to rig the forms to work properly. The interest not limited box is checked. When the 1098 amount (191094) is put in box 2, Mortgage deduction is not added to schedule A as it was in 2018 and 2019. This amount was listed on the 2019 work sheet. Not being able to make this deduction will reduce my refund by $933. If this is not going to be fixed soon, I’ll just turn in a paper copy and give strong consideration to purchasing a different program for next year. Ron

Very disappointed in Turbotax this year. I don't understand what Credit Karma is all about. I didn't understand I was evidently being connected to some entity other than Intuit when I was trying to get information from their own website. Also it is very deceptive that Intuit says "Live Help" when you have a question, but all you get is a robot giving you a line of questions. Intuit has never been this "user UNFriendly."  Many times I had to re-Login while filing my form. I didn't realize when I clicked on something for clarification that it was taking me outside their website. This is quite dishonest and unprofessional, for a company who gathers so much personal information. 

What's the problem in cancelling my membership?

Old15

everything take id photo tell me something went wrong  and about low memory 

theglynn

I feel the same way I went to sign into Karma and 3 times it said there was no match I finally gave up as I already get a credit report from another source. I am pissed off with Karma as after filing my taxes is exhausting enough with out running into this road block. At present my e-file is not showing in my Bank statement and I am Pissed off and mad as hell. I guess I will have to keep checking my bank account, and then what happens if my e-file doesn't show up. I will be in violation of not paying on time. I do have a print out showin I did file a e-mail for what thats worth. Maybe your Tax experts will come to my aid???? Sincerely;Gerald Glynn 

I have been away from Turbo Tax for 10 years as my husband has a tax professional that we have been using since we got married.  I'm back this year since our professional retired.

I am happy with the work on my returns, but the weird option to deposit with some banking option (for a $50 credit) and the Credit Karma in the final screen is crazy.  I am SUPER careful about my financial information and I don't think casually sending it to a third party is a reputable thing for Turbo Tax to be supporting.  Too bad, Turbo Tax.  I will not be returning next year.  I would gladly pay twice what you're charging to be free of these electronic traps.  By the way, I did not fall for either of the tricks.  I backed out from the CK and decided I could track my return elsewhere.    

Ironically enough, I got a phone call from a tax expert since I had a question on my State return.  A lovely lady helped me through my question and I was really pleased with her information.  I agreed to take the survey so I could give her a good score.  I have not been able to find that link.  So you'll stump for another company but not give your own employees the credit they deserve (no pun intended.) It's a shame.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies