Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First time e-filing got rejected. PIN / AGI?

It is my first time to file tax report.  I used TurboTax desktop software to e-file.  I thought I could choose an arbitrary PIN since it is my fist time.

The filing was rejected because the PIN doesn't match.  Then I retried with AGI = 0.  Still got rejected for the same reason - "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records".

My question is - what would be the easiest way to e-file the first time?  Do I have to go to irs.gov to register account and apply for PIN?  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

make sure you cleared that PIN before entering AGI = 0

First time filers have to file a paper return because there is no AGI to refer to.

AGI = zero might work.

@Helloguys 

I tried to clear the PIN. But TurboTax won't allow me do so.  See screenshot below.  It says "You can make up any number".

Sign.pngSign2.png

I guess my question is - what PIN do I use for the first time?  Do I have to get it from IRS.  Or I can choose my own PIN?  If I choose my own PIN, would TurboTax send it to IRS and IRS just accept that?

I know that IRS use last year's AGI or PIN number as safeguard to authenticate filers.  For first time filers, they don't have "last year PIN".  Their last year AGI is 0.  So it sounds like this safeguard does not exist for them?  Or I got it wrong?  Thanks!

It looks like first time filers have to get their PIN from IRS.  I guess TurboTax (Desktop) need to be fixed to reflect this.

Reference: https://finance.zacks.com/firsttime-taxreturn-filer-pin-3656.html

"After successfully passing an identity verification process, the IRS will assign you, the first-time taxpayer, a tax return PIN number that will be compatible with all of your tax returns moving forward."

TurboTax Home & Business 2022 (Desktop Version): "You can make up any number".  The fact is - You CANNOT make up any number.  It has to come from IRS.

Sign3.png

@Helloguys It is always more accurate to use the IRS as a source other than a commercial website posted 4 years ago.

Go to this IRS for the 5 digit self-select PIN - https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/self-select-pin-method-for-forms-1040-and-4868-modernized-e-fil...

Well, I might be wrong.  But only TurboTax can answer that.

The link I referenced above also says:

"If you are filing your taxes through an online tax preparation service, the chances are good that you will have the option to create your tax filing IP PIN through their platform".

Now the question is - does TurboTax (desktop version) have the capability to create first time filer PIN?  I spent hours on the phone with TurboTax today (with two different agents).  Unfortunately, they had no clue and kept sending me irrelevant links.

Based on my experience, the "self select" PIN from TurboTax didn't seem to work.  I got "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records".

The problem is there are two  PINs and TurboTax does a poor job of distinguishing the two.

There is the PIN you selected last year for this filing.

There is the PIN you select now to use next  year.

You are asked for a new PIN for next year, but it won't work next year if AGI= 0 does not let you e-file.

you will have to file a paper return and you won't have any self select PIN.

make a note of your AGI for 2022 you will need it next year.

@Helloguys 

Here's the IRS link regarding the first time filer PIN: https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/self-select-pin-method-for-forms-1040-and-4868-modernized-e-fil...

But TurboTax won't allow a blank PIN.  That's the problem.

"If the taxpayer has never filed a tax return or did not need to file a prior year tax return, what amount do they enter for the prior year original AGI or prior year PIN?

Enter zero ("0") for the original AGI. Do not leave this field blank. The return will reject if the field is left blank for a zero amount. However, the prior year PIN field should be left blank."

the five digit PIN is completely independent of the IP PIN. As a first time filer you don't need an IP PIN.

@fanfare But TurboTax won't allow me to skip the PIN.  That's the problem. :(

If TurboTax says you can make up any number, that is obviously not the self-select PIN you chose last year.

It has to be the PIN you select now for next year.

Still, what should I don't to file my first return?  I don't mind file by mail (paper).  But what do I need to do so that I can e-file next year?  Thanks!

you must file a paper return if AGI=0 fails 

(There's a question from Turbotax, "are you first time?" I don't know if that makes any difference)

IRS will record your AGI and you  use that number next year.

This is the IRS website regarding the IP PIN:https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin#:~:text=You%20may%20use%20our%20... 

It looks like I need the IP PIN to e-file anyway.  Correct?

If you file your return without your IRS assigned IP PIN:

• We’ll reject your electronic return, and you won't be able to e-file
  • We’ll subject your paper return to additional screenings to validate your identity, delaying any refund you may be due

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies