Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

C4Mac

Filing a 1040x and says I owe but I haven't been given a refund yet. How should I proceed? I entered $500 more from Box2 from my W2 on accident on the original 1040.

If I haven't been given a refund shouldn't it be taken out of that instead of owing $500? Example: W2 Box2 number is $8000 and I entered $8500 on accident when e-filing wouldn't they just take it out of the refund? I've paid all my taxes correctly.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Filing a 1040x and says I owe but I haven't been given a refund yet. How should I proceed? I entered $500 more from Box2 from my W2 on accident on the original 1040.

Wait to file the amended returns until you get the first refund.  They are not processing mailed returns now anyway.  And the IRS might catch that for you and adjust your refund.  So just sit on it and wait.

C4Mac

I filed my taxes on Feb 5th and they were accepted then I never received a return. I called IRS on March 10th and they said I was selected to be audited and to expect a letter from them within 60 days of March 16th. I haven't got a letter so I called IRS back and was told exactly what the mistake was and to submit a 1040x.  

WAIT for the IRS to finish processing your return ... the mistake you made is usually caught by them and corrected so do NOTHING now.  

C4Mac

I’ve already talked to them- they told me I need to send a 1040x. I haven’t been given a refund yet. I was told I am being audited and to expect a letter, letter never game so I called back and was told it’s taking longer than usual because of Covid-19 and to send in a 1040x.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if $500 was the only issue the IRS would not ask you to amend they would just change your refund.   did the IRS say there were other errors and tell you what they were?  if so, then again the IRS would most likely change your return and adjust your refund without asking you to file an amended return.  I think the agent you spoke to gave you bad advice (the fact that you were told you were being audited and then not should give you a clue).  refunds are taking much longer than normal because of the pandemic and stimulus payments. others have reported filing in early February and still awaiting their refunds.  

Agreed ... bad advice ... you are never supposed to file a 1040X until the original return has been fully processed.   The IRS is now comparing what you send in on the return with what the employer sent in and your numbers and the employers numbers did not match ... add in the corrected W-2  form plus   a pandemic that closed the IRS processing centers for 10 weeks  and you have a perfect storm brewing.   Until the IRS gets the W-2C in the system and has been able to verify and/or correct the error on your return your refund will not be released.  This extra precaution is part of the anti fraud tools to keep from sending out incorrect refunds so they don't have to claw them back later.  Nothing you can do but wait for the process to be completed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies