Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent an Identity Theft victim

Filed  tax return  for mother in law electronically, as head of household , one adult disabled dependent.  Return was rejected, no reason cited, was told to file by mail, which I did March 9 2022.  Was notified by mail that the dependent's identity had been used to file a tax return, so I followed instructions to obtain a an IP PIN for the dependent. Attempted to file again electronically using the IP PIN.  Return was rejected.  Have been using the online IRS tools to check status of return, and each time the message is that "the information entered does not match, re-enter information".  I can never get to a live person to discuss this!

Beyond frustrated!  Any ideas as to what I can do.  My mother in law desperately needs this money.  

Would it be helpful to schedule a walk in appointment at the nearest IRS office?

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hold on.....

since you filed by mail (because you couldn't efile), the IRS should be able to sort out who otherwise filed your MIL as a dependent and give credit where credit is due. 

You can't efile (because you filed via paper) and there is no need efile now you already filed via paper.  Also, if the SS# has been already used by someone else, the ONLY way to file is by paper, so you did the right thing there. 

you will receive a new PIN next year and will need to use that to file.  Only the person with the PIN can file an electronic tax return against that Social Security Number.

I suspec the paper return has not been processed yet because the IRS is woefully behind on paper returns (think 6 months).  suggest just waiting for it to be processed.  It may take a little longer than that because of the issue of someone else already using the SS#? 

I don't see there is anything else for you to do. Just sit and wait it out

Thank you for the quick response.  Let me clarify that it was the dependent's SS # that was compromised, not my Mother In Laws, for whom I was filing the tax return.  I'm a little confused....since the adult dependent doesn't file a return, would we need a new PIN every year?   And would we put that PIN on the tax return?  Maybe that PIN will only prevent another person from filing a tax return under the dependent's identity?

Thank you!

that is fine that is was another dependent - the advice is still the same

if a PIN number has been assigned to a SS#, then the ONLY taxpayer that can electronically file a tax return with that SS# is the person who knows the PIN.  TT will ask you for that next year; if you fail to use the correct PIN number your efile will fail (as it will for anyone else who tries to submit a tax return with that SS#)

also, to further protect the social security number from being used by a fraudulent party, the IRS issues new PINs each year.

If you try to use a prior year PIN to submit the current year tax return, it will fail....again for the protection of the dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies