turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

I just wanted to say to the comment where a member stated that the irs has the direct depoit information to the bank and not our card, is not true. 

I checked my form 1040 and the account and routing numbers are the exact same as the the numbers I can see on my turbo app that I’d use for direct deposit for my paychecks and such if I wanted to do that.  

has anyone gained any more info on whether or not our stimulus check can and will be deposited into this account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

this may have been asked, 

but if the people who had fees taken out & have the turbo card will get a check by mail then what about individuals who paid for taxes through their return but had it sent to their bank account? 

@Anonymous - you should be all set for direct deposit with no issues. 

Ok, so what is the difference between a person who had fees taken from their refund with a direct deposit to their account and a person who had fees taken from their refund and put on a TT card? Both go thru SBTPG for fees to be taken out. 

Directly from the SBTPG WEBSITE.   I paid for tax preparation using Santa Barbara TPG this tax season. How will I receive my Economic Impact Payment?

The IRS will be distributing Economic Impact Payments directly to taxpayers and TPG will not play a role in facilitating these payments. Unfortunately, TPG does not have any visibility into this information, therefore our agents can not answer any questions regarding these payments.

The IRS will issue direct deposits to taxpayers that received a direct deposit. An IRS-issued check will be mailed to taxpayers that received a check printed from their tax professional's office or a debit card issued through Santa Barbara TPG.

@kenandron Exactly! And that's why I don't understand what the big stink is about. ORIGINALLY people were concerned because the SBTPG website says you will get a check if you got your refund on a card issued through them. The question arose of wether the TT card was through SBTPG or not. O think we've proven that it is not. I also posted this:

Getting to know the Turbo® Visa® Debit Card 

Says that Turbo Tax works with Green Dot to get the IRS and/or State the account information from your turbo card. I am pretty sure that proves that this card is through Turbo, not SBTPG. Therefore when then money hits SBTPG, they treat it like any other direct deposit.

@Jcav5207 the TT card wasn't issue through SBPTG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NCperson  So in that case as @kenandron asked, what is the difference? That’s what’s confusing to me?

Well actually, the TT debit card is a product of Green Dot Bank and was just facilitated through Turbo Tax.  SBTPG is a Green Dot Company, per their website.

This statement is from the 2008 stimulus and though a few small details have changed this should clarify who is and who’s not receiving DD. I was informed many times that those with fees paid towards tax prep will not get DD and those who have some other cards including TT Visa with DD and no fee should receive DD soon. Here’s a link from 2008 stimulus

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2008/04/your-stimulus-payment-is-on-the-way-eventually/inde...

Not trying to be disagreeable, but who informed you of this for the 2020 stimulus? Where did you get this direct information from? I would like to see it for this years's (2020) stimulus deposits. Thx

@Kimmediato22   My problem with that is that it's from 2008. There have been no details like that from this stimulus check from this year at all. Otherwise, this wouldn't all be up in the air. 

In my opinion :

ALL EVERYONE CAN TO IS WAIT AND HOPE FOR THE BEST .... if you have already filed a 2019 return there is nothing you can do until something happens no matter how much you wish and pray for a miracle ...

If you get the DD in the next 2 weeks then you are done.  Be happy.

If you do not get the DD by the time the IRS finally opens the promised portal then you can update your information at that time.   

Follow this site for updates:

CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Besides speaking to three agents, I was also informed by a close family member involved in taxes. I simply say it’s up in the air because I am just a messenger trying to help and I’ve come to realize that no matter how I say it or where the detail comes from that people don’t generally accept the answer unless it’s the one they want to hear. I am in the boat that gets potentially screwed as well. Hope that helps and i truly hope all things do somehow change for the better in the coming days 🙂

@Anonymous - there are multiple paths that refunds can take

1) I am due a refund of $1,000 from the IRS and I get $1,000 back from the IRS. I  owe TT $80.  I pay TT outside of my refund.  My direct deposit information is on my return and i do get my refund direct deposited.  that can be to a traditional checking account or to a debit card,  A debit card is no more than a traditional checking account with a card attached to it.

2) I am due of $1000 from the IRS and owe TT $80.  I request that the $80 be netted from my refund so I only receive $920.  That way I don't have to come out of pocket for the $80 while I wait on the refund.  What I think occurs in this case is that there is a temporary account set up so that when the IRS sends the $1,000 a company that TT employs called SBTPG, which is a sister company of Greendot Bank, receives that payment and remove $80 before placing the rest of it on my Greendot card.  That way TT is ensured they actually get paid their $80 - otherwise, once I have my refund, why pay TT (other than it's the right thing to do!).,

Now we get to the Rebates, in #1, the rebate is direct deposited.  Doesn't matter whether you have a good old checking account with paper checks or you only have a debit card. Good to go.

BUT, if your original experience was #2, then when the IRS sends the rebate to the account they were originally provided for the refund they find out it's closed!  Remember this was the temporary account SBTPG used to ensure that they got the $80 for TT and I never got it.   In this case the IRS doesn't have the correct bank information and sends out a check for the rebate.  I fear this is what is occurring and i could be wrong. But the SBTPG website FAQ appears to support this.  They say they are not involved in the Rebates and their customers will receive checks - no direct deposit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies