Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changed my direct deposit for my Second stimulus check . Now that the third one is out is still being sent to my old account but it is closed . What should I do?

I had a different bank account when I first received my first stimulus . After the first one I closed my account . I didn’t receive my 2nd stimulus for a month or so until I updated my direct deposit via a link I was sent from turbo tax . Once I updated it I received my stimulus within a week but now that the 3rd stimulus check is out it is still being tempted to be sent out to my old closed account and not my active updated account . What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Changed my direct deposit for my Second stimulus check . Now that the third one is out is still being sent to my old account but it is closed . What should I do?

Per the IRS, if your payment can’t be delivered to you for any reason, it will be returned to the IRS. Then, you can get your payment reissued.

To get your payment reissued:

• Set up direct deposit with Get My Payment. After your payment is returned to the IRS, your payment status will update to “Need More Information.” You can then choose direct deposit to a:
    • Bank account
    • Prepaid debit card (must be reloadable; contact the card issuer for information)
    • Alternative financial products that have a routing and account number associated with them
  • Update your address with the IRS. The easiest way is to file your 2020 tax return with your current address, if you haven’t already done so. Once we receive your current address, we will reissue your payment.

For other ways to update your address with the IRS, see How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HOPE THIS HELPS - From Turbo Tax via email I got a few days ago.

The IRS has begun distributing a third round of stimulus payments.

We understand that you may have questions about where a third stimulus payment will be sent since you used the TurboTax Stimulus Portal to update your information with the second round of stimulus payments.

Here is what you can expect:

• If you filed your 2020 tax return and it has been processed by the IRS your stimulus will be sent to the account you provided in that return.
  • If you provided updated banking information via the TurboTax Stimulus Portal for the second stimulus, that information was given to the IRS so they could deposit a third stimulus payment in that account.
  • If a bank account the IRS has on file is closed and your bank rejects the payment, the IRS will either:
    • Deposit your stimulus check into the bank account you entered into the TurboTax portal, or
    • Send your stimulus by check to the address they have on file for you within 14 days.

We understand that these funds are important to you and we are doing everything we can to help you get them as quickly as possible.

We encourage you to regularly check the IRS Get My Payment tool, here, for updated information on how you can expect to receive your stimulus payment. The payment status on that tool will not change more than once per day.

Thank you again for being a TurboTax customer.

Respectfully,
Sarah Kim
Vice President, Customer Success
Intuit, Inc. | TurboTax

lynz2137

I have the same issue - tried to deposit on March 17th and again on the 26th - both to the old account according to Get My Payment.  Sort of discredits the email from Turbo Tax saying they provided the new account info from the portal for the second stimulus.  Pretty upsetting since it seems there's nothing that can be done about it.  Honestly at this point, I don't expect to see it until another month from now when they finally stop trying the closed account and finally send a paper check.  Pretty ridiculous since they seemed to figure this all out for the 2nd one but not this one.

Well the second time they Try it should go into the updated banking information. if not there like you said I don't see the whole point in the turbo tax portal thing.

I changed mine also with the second stimulus through the portal and they sent the 3rd one to my closed account twice like really how can we resolve this?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If your payment is rejected by the bank because your account has been closed, the IRS should issue a paper check within 14 days of the second rejection to the address listed on the latest tax return filed.

Please use the following link to track your stimulus payment.

Get My Payment link from IRS

@Hollistersimba

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies