turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I amend 2019 and change from a dependent to an independent to get the corona stimulus check? Haven’t claimed on my parent’s taxes yet. They haven’t filed but I did.

I filed and have already gotten my return. It doesn’t benefit my parents taxes for me to be a dependent. If amended my 2019 taxes to be listed as independent, would I be able to get the $1200 Corona check? Or has that ship sailed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Can I amend 2019 and change from a dependent to an independent to get the corona stimulus check? Haven’t claimed on my parent’s taxes yet. They haven’t filed but I did.

Probably not. Check the rules to see if you really are independent in the eyes of the IRS.

Check 2019 Publication 501 Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information on page 4 for the very basics and page 11 (the chart is quickly readable) to determine if you are or are not qualified to be a dependent as a qualifying child or as a qualifying relative.

If you truly are not a dependent and would not have qualified to be claimed as a dependent, whether or not you were claimed does not matter, then: file an amended federal and state return.

The amended return is submitted through the mail and would have taken at least 16 weeks to process in the past. It is best to pay extra to the mail carrier to send the tax return(s) certified mail so you have proof. Click the link for instructions: How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed.

However, due to the unprecedented demand on the IRS resources at the present time, they made an announcement April 14, 2020 that they will not be processing any paper filed returns until the stimulus payments are finished. See IRS urges taxpayers to use electronic options; outlines online assistance.

Visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS: Economic Impact Payment Information Center

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@Anonymous

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies