Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Been more than 10 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Been more than 10 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

The IRS has not processed any mailed returns of any type for many weeks. Mailed returns are sitting in stacks in trailers at regional processing centers waiting to be opened for processing by the IRS employees when they return to work. They have not said how long it will take to get caught up with mailed returns. In normal times, an amended return takes 16 weeks to process. It will likely take a lot longer now. 

When they do start processing it, you can track the status using this web site: https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The IRS has not processed any mailed returns of any type for many weeks. Mailed returns are sitting in stacks in trailers at regional processing centers waiting to be opened for processing by the IRS employees when they return to work. They have not said how long it will take to get caught up with mailed returns. In normal times, an amended return takes 16 weeks to process. It will likely take a lot longer now. 

When they do start processing it, you can track the status using this web site: https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Thx for your response.  So it seems there is no need to re-send my amendment to IRS, right?

Do not mail another copy of your amended return. It will just be added to the stacks of unopened returns and confuse the IRS when they finally open all the returns. 

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies