Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

salg8or

Are bonuses taxed by the state where I lived when the original work was performed, or in the state where I lived when it was paid?

Lived in CA for the first 2 months of 2020 and in Michigan for 10 last months. Bonus for 2020 was paid in 2021. Employer treated the bonus as part CA income and part MI income, even though I lived in Michigan for ALL of 2021.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Are bonuses taxed by the state where I lived when the original work was performed, or in the state where I lived when it was paid?

Your California bonus pay is taxable to both California (that's where you earned it) and to Michigan (that's where you received it).

California says "Sick leave, vacation pay, and bonuses earned by a nonresident for services performed in California are considered California source income. See the Appeal of Edwin O. and Wanda L. Stevens, 86-SBE-100, May 6, 1986."

See 3440 Sick Leave, Vacation Pay, Bonuses, and Severance Pay in California's Residency and Sourcing Technical Manual

Michigan residents are taxed on all income received while a MI resident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

did you work either remotely for the company from MI or from a MI location for the same company?

if not, it would seem the entire bonus was earned for the 2 months you worked in CA and should have been reported as such.  

salg8or

Isn't that double-taxation if I owe CA and MI for the same income? How can that be right?

salg8or

Yes, worked for the same company for the whole year: 2 months in CA and 10 months in MI.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@salg8nor Yes it is double taxation which is why Michigan will give you a credit for tax paid to California on the Mi tax return. 

In the Michigan section, you'll see the screen Take a look at Michigan credits and taxes.

In Other credits, select Other State Tax Credit. If you do your nonresident California return first, the numbers in this section will auto populate. If you started MI first, delete MI, complete CA, then add MI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies