Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dubbs2019

Amended taxes

Hi all,

This might be a lengthy post, but I received a bill from the IRS back in January saying I owed $4,101 for an increase in tax.  My account (whom I no longer use) forgot to include a W-2 form for my job resulting in $82k in unreported income.   When I brought this to her attention, she said she would Amend my taxes for 2017 and correct the mistake, she then followed up with me two days later (again back in January) saying I'll be receiving close to $3k in additional refund.  Here's where it gets super annoying, I received a letter from the IRS saying I owed $4,779.28 that includes interest and penalties.  My current accountant is going to handle for me and I already called the IRS to get an extension for 120 days but I don't understand how she claims I would have gotten an additional refund.  Aside from reporting my previous accountant to the IRS, is there anything that can be done to hold her accountable?  I'm freaking out about having to pay close to $5k for this error when had she just done my tax return correctly, I probably would have gotten more money back.  If anyone has insight here, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Amended taxes

Sounds like a dispute between you and the accountant which puts it into a legal rather than a tax arena. 

Dubbs2019

Amended taxes

Thanks!  When my current account amends these taxes, will the amount owed go down?  I am completely at a loss as to how this stuff works.  

Amended taxes

Your accountant needs to tell you that.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies