turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended returns: NY has no mailing instructions, unlike federal and NJ

Amended a tax return as forgot to include interest from a CD account. By the time of the amendment, federal return had already been accepted whereas the NJ and NY returns hadn't. In the amended return, the federal and NJ state TurboTax printouts have instructions for filing by mail (can't e-file amended returns). However, the NY state return printout still says I've elected to pay by direct debit, with no instructions for mailing despite a change in the balance due amount. Does this mean I only need to mail the federal and NJ amended returns? Or do I still need to do something with the NY one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

So I found out it's actually possible to e-file the amended NY state return via TurboTax. Not even customer service knew this. But it requires being thorough during the amendment process to ensure you don't miss a crucial step: complete the subsection in the NY state return asking if the federal returns were amended. This also ensures form IT-201-X/IT-203-X is used and populated. It's easy to miss this step since you'd assume TurboTax would update that section automatically after amending the federal returns, and because other state returns (like NJ) don't require completing a special subsection like this in order to be registered as amended, plus TurboTax doesn't warn you if you've missed that step. Shortsighted on TurboTax's part and I've reported it as something to fix. I've now e-filed the amended NY return and mailed the amended federal and NJ returns.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

You will also need to mail your New York amended return. Print, Mail the Form to NY Tax Department to:

If a tax payment in form of a check or money order is attached to the form being mailed, then mail to:

State Processing Center
P.O. Box 15555
Albany, NY 12212-5555

If no payment is attached, then mail to:

State Processing Center
P.O. Box 61000
Albany, NY 12261-0001

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why didn't TurboTax provide mailing instructions like it did with federal and NJ? Why does the printout still show IT-201 instead of IT-201-X? Do I need to manually complete IT-201-X? Are these bugs with TurboTax?

NY state tax return has now been accepted (after the amendments were made), with payment withdrawal scheduled for 3/6. Maybe I'll wait for the withdrawal to see how much is withdrawn in case TurboTax submitted my amendments already.

Seeing how deep this rabbit hole of discrepancies in TurboTax goes… If these issues are due to amending while the state returns were still pending, btw, TurboTax should've warned me clearly before allowing me to amend.

So I found out it's actually possible to e-file the amended NY state return via TurboTax. Not even customer service knew this. But it requires being thorough during the amendment process to ensure you don't miss a crucial step: complete the subsection in the NY state return asking if the federal returns were amended. This also ensures form IT-201-X/IT-203-X is used and populated. It's easy to miss this step since you'd assume TurboTax would update that section automatically after amending the federal returns, and because other state returns (like NJ) don't require completing a special subsection like this in order to be registered as amended, plus TurboTax doesn't warn you if you've missed that step. Shortsighted on TurboTax's part and I've reported it as something to fix. I've now e-filed the amended NY return and mailed the amended federal and NJ returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies