turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2019 Amended Return

I need to amend my 2019 filed return, which was done in the Turbo Tax CD/Download software. I made an amended copy of my return and saved it to preserve the original filed return. When I started on the copy, the State refund monitor changed to $0, but the federal refund monitor changed to an increase in my refund without me making any changes. Why did the federal refund monitor not change to $0? According to Turbo Tax guide, this is what's supposed to happen for an amended return. Turbo Tax guide states that it resets the monitor to $0 for the amended portion only, to show you if anything changes when you amend. But this did not happen in the federal refund monitor. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

2019 Amended Return

It depends.

But you shouldn't worry.  As long as you enter all of your changes, the ending amount will come out correctly when you are done.  

Please see the attached link for more guidance in preparing your 2019 amended tax return.

Guide to amending 2019 taxes using CD/Download Software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

2019 Amended Return

I followed the steps in the link on guidance to amending 2019 taxes.  However, the numbers in 1040-X, Column A, lines 1 to 11, which are supposed to match the numbers that were originally filed come up differently. What triggers this error in the 1040-X form?

2019 Amended Return

Again depends ... there may have been updates that made the change ... so what are the changes ? 

Look at your original 1040 (print a copy if you did not yet do so) and compare it to the current 1040 (not the 1040X) ... post back exactly what changed for additional guidance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2019 Amended Return

The original filed 1040 and the current 1040 are the same. Nothing changed. The numbers in 1040-X, Column A, lines 1 to 11, continue to be different.

2019 Amended Return

Ok ... that would suggest that you changed something before you started the amended return especially if column B is blank ...  start a new return again from the saved original file ... before you start the amendment process switch to the FORMS mode and make sure the 1040 is the same as what you filed... start the amendment process only when they are the same. 

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Anonymous
Not applicable

2019 Amended Return

Per your instructions, I switch to the FORMS mode and made sure the 1040 was the same as what was originally filed. I then started the amendment process. When I started on the amendment copy, the first thing I did was to check "2019"as the return calendar year in 1040-X at the top of the form. This caused the numbers in 1040-X, Column A, B & C to automatically populate. Even though I made no other changes, Column A still did not match the numbers that I originally filed. However, the numbers in Column C do match correctly. And Column B shows the differences.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies