turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tysvol
Returning Member

1040-V

My amended return says to mail my payment with 1040-V. I elected direct debit with my original filing, and the amended return states my refund will of overpayment will come to me by check. 

Do I mail payment or will it the original amount be debited with a refund check coming later?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
jtax
Level 10

1040-V

I'm confused. Do you owe money on the 1040X or do you expect a refund?  Can't have both.

Check your 1040X and let us know if there is a number on line 20 or on line 21. (Can't be both).

If there is a number on line 20 (amount owed) then you pay. I don't know if you can pay via direct debit on a 1040X through TT or not. Probably not if it suggests a 1040-V.  So you can either mail in the 1040-V TT prints, or you can also setup a direct debit payment via https://www.irs.gov/payments ... just be very careful to choose the correct tax year.

If there is a number on line 21 and you choose a refund, that refund will appear on line 22 (line 23 is for applying the refund to 2022 taxes). 1040X refunds cannot, for some reason, be directly deposited. See page 8, line 22 of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf "You will receive a check for any refund due to you. A refund on an amended return can’t be deposited directly to your bank account."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tysvol
Returning Member

1040-V

There is a refund showing on line 22 of the 1040X.  TT did state a check would be mailed me. But after efiling, at the very end of the program, I received the prompt to mail payment with the 1040V and that my return is not final until this step is done. The amount reflected was the original overpayment minus the refund.

jtax
Level 10

1040-V

Ok, I see what you mean. That is very confusing.

what is on line 16 of the 1040X? Is it the original amount you paid with your 1040 via direct debit?

Are lines 12-15 all the same as your 1040?

tysvol
Returning Member

1040-V

Yes, line 16 is the original amount paid by debit, and yes the previous withholding amounts are identical.

jtax
Level 10

1040-V

I'm confused by the instructions. This doesn't make sense to me.

I would not be inclined to make another payment if it is duplicative. 

If you paid the amount on line 16 (check your bank perhaps to verify the debit or make an account on irs.gov to check the irs records) and 1040X line 20 is empty or zero I would not make an additional payment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies