mblevins24

Question regarding tax amount

I was reviewing my 2016 return (prep for 2017).  Filing jointly.  Line 43 income is $73,159.  TT computed a tax of $1,143.  However, when I look at the tax tables, I find that tax should have been higher.  How do I check that my tax computation is correct?  How do I find out where TT came up with that tax amount?    Thanks

Question regarding tax amount

It depends on what kind of income you have, if you have capital gains or qualified dividends the tax on line 44 is not taken from the tax table but is calculated separately from schedule D.  The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.  It does not get filed with your return.  In the online version you need to save your return as a pdf file and include all worksheets to see it.  

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it.  Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899683-form-1040-line-44-amount-is-less-than-standard-irs-tax-tab...