Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Caracarn3
Returning Member

Question for refiling after dependent issue

So this situation involves the fact that one of our children filed her taxes using the free online version of TurboTax and then I filed using the purchased version at the store.  

We did her return first as it was easy and she had all her info.   Somehow when we filed we missed marking the fact she was a dependent (someone can claim you as a dependent) and her return was accepted and filed and she had her state refund like two days later.

At this time, I was finishing up our taxes and filed and it was rejected because we had claimed a dependent who had not indicated they would be claimed (this is when we actually found the above error by looking back at her form and realizing that in fact the checkbox was not checked.   When we tried to amend her return TT said we had to wait until 2/16.  

We just went ahead and made the change, but the wording on what TT was telling us was very confusing (so unlike TurboTax, but clearly we found a spot where they could do better).   What we seemed to understand is TT would let the IRS know the dependent status was changing but as there was not impact to taxes for her it asked this obscure questions of "Are you filing this amendment for another purpose than to determine your taxes or to amend?" so of course we answered no, but the question really through me off.  We both reread it 10 times before selecting no.   It then popped up the really confusing fine print, that shared the above, that since it was just a change to dependent status there was not much to send.  It did e-file the amendment (state needs to be mailed so that may be another can of worms but can deal with that as needed).

So here are my questions with all that background:

Do we need to wait for the return status to be accepted again before I resend our taxes, or will the IRS not get TT to generate any messages because of the lack of actual tax changes?

Does it take longer for the IRS to accept an amended return?   She got a response in under an hour with the original filing but nothing yet with this one.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The problem created when your child's return was sent in without saying she could be claimed as a dependent means you cannot e-file this year.   Her SSN is in the system now and that is not going to change any time soon.  Even if she amends, that will take many months.   There is no need to wait for her amended return to be processed.   The only way for you to claim her and file your return is by mail.  The IRS will then process your return that claims your daughter.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Caracarn3
Returning Member

Well shoot, that's sucks, but I created my own problem I guess.   I was a bit worried it would be a process.   We did her return one day before she was headed to work because I knew she would have a refund coming, and so got it done in like 5 minutes according to the timer.  I've used TurboTax since I was 16 (nearly 40 years ago) so understand it well, but somehow the checkbox slipped by.   

Normally my wife and I do not get a refund but we do this year, so want to get it in, so will get it in the mail soon.   Thanks.

@Caracarn3 Well.....you are not alone......many parents of teenagers and college students experience this problem.  Usually it is because the child said on their return that they could not be claimed and messed it up for the parents.    You were in a hurry and it got messed up.   Expect processing of your mailed return to take longer than an e-filed return....use a service to track it so you will know the IRS received it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies