andrewgoodrich4

Question about how I filed regarding covid-19 stimulus check

So, I filed my taxes for 2019 and got my return back in February. The question I have now is whether or not I will get the stimulus check. On my return, I put that I could be claimed as a dependent and that I WOULD be claimed as a dependent, but my mother did not, and has not, claimed me on her return for the last two years. Would the IRS see me as a dependent, even thought I was not claimed or do I need to amend my return? For reference, I am not a full time student and my income was above $10k last year, using the majority of my income to support myself. 

AnnetteB6

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Before amending your return, you must be certain that you would not qualify as a dependent on another return based on all the facts and circumstances (whether or not you are actually being claimed).  Making a change in the return that you already filed stating it was true and correct simply to receive a stimulus payment can be construed as fraud.  Be cautious.  (Full time student means you were enrolled at least 5 months of the year in school; it is not based on your course load).

Who can I claim as my dependent?

@andrewgoodrich4

andrewgoodrich4

Thank you for your response!

So for me, I am 21 years old and I lived on my own for about 9 months in 2019 and still do in 2020. I did support myself more than my parents had helped me. I was a part-time student, but worked far more than that and on my return said that I was not a full time student. I have amended it to say that I cannot be claimed and that I will not be claimed. Is there any issue with that being fraudulent? To reiterate completely, I currently live with only my brother (20 y/o), I’m currently not a full time student (will be in Fall 2020), and I was not claimed on my mothers tax return. 

RobertG

No, if you provided more than 1/2 of your own support, you can't be claimed as a dependent.