turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gofastmikey
Returning Member

Quarterly Estimated tax payments

I have been paying IRS estimated quarterly taxes for a number of years electronically through direct payment from my bank.  I totally forgot to make the June 15 and September 15 estimated payments this year (2020).  I did pay the April 15 estimated tax.  What is the process for paying the two missed payments?  Do I go to the direct payment site and make the individual payments for the missed dates?  Do I designate what quarters they are for?  Will penalties be calculated at the time I submit the late payments?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You can’t make the payments retroactive. Just pay the combined June and September as soon as you can. This year the April and June payments deadline was July 15. 

gofastmikey
Returning Member

Thanks for the help Bsch4477.  What about a penalty, when and how does it get implemented?

If you owe less than $1,000 or have withheld an amount equal to your previous year’s tax liability you might not have a penalty. In any case, that will be calculated when you file your 2020 return. 

gofastmikey
Returning Member

Can I make the combined payment a Direct payment electronically or should I send in the payment with the payment vouchers?

You can do it electronically. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies