Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Processing over 5 months?

Hello all,

I filed my 2022 taxes over 4 months ago in April. It's been almost 5 months in about a week. I lost my computer files and couldn't retrieve my numbers from last year, so I had to do a paper copy. I did have the EIC on my return this year. I've been checking every single week for months and all it says is that it's been accepted, and it's being processed. At what point should I be calling the IRS? I ask because online it says to not call them unless it says to do so, but this is kind of crazy at this point.

Any thoughts on what could be taking so long?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Bsch4477 - things are improving at the IRS!!!.... anything paped filed through June has been processed. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-status-of-mission-critical-functions#collapseCollapsible...

"We have processed all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to July 2023, and we are opening mail within normal time frames. This means we have processed all returns we’ve received for tax year 2021 or earlier if those returns had no errors or did not require further review."

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Mailed returns take 4-5 months and with credits may take longer. You just have to wait. TurboTax gets no information about your return once it has been accepted. 

you can go to the REFUNDS page on IRS website to see your filed tax return's status.

You should see the status there.

IRS says:

"We have processed all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to July 2023"

"processed" does not mean "APPROVED".

@jrincon 

@jrincon 

Never mind.

I see by your post, you already did that.

You can call the IRS.

Some filers have said that that was sufficient to jog their refund out of limbo.

It doesn't work 100% of the time.

@jrincon 

@Bsch4477 - things are improving at the IRS!!!.... anything paped filed through June has been processed. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-status-of-mission-critical-functions#collapseCollapsible...

"We have processed all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to July 2023, and we are opening mail within normal time frames. This means we have processed all returns we’ve received for tax year 2021 or earlier if those returns had no errors or did not require further review."

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies