Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gmntr40
Returning Member

Possible to 'fix' a wrong Long-term Capital Loss item, without filing an Amended return?

I reside abroad and I file only US Federal returns.

In my 2019 Federal Return I made a wrong Long-term Capital Loss claim in Schedule D that I want to delete.

I then went ahead and prepared an Amended 2019 Tax return deleting the item.

I noticed that my amended return shows no balance due or refund amount.

Also the Form 1040X shows that Columns A. B. and C. are empty.

Schedule D is updated with the new number and looks OK.

Is there a practical way to fix (delete) my Long-term Capital Loss carryover in the 2020 Return, without filing the Amend?

Or would I be considered guilty by the IRS regardless, for misreporting a Capital Loss claim in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Possible to 'fix' a wrong Long-term Capital Loss item, without filing an Amended return?

can't explain why 1040-X doesn't show columns A,B and C,

if capital losses after removing the incorrect one still equals or exceed $3,000 there will be no change in your tax because the capital loss deduction would remain the same at $3,000.   regardless you must correct the capital loss carryforward for 2020

gmntr40
Returning Member

Thank you. Indeed, the corrected capital loss still exceeds $3000 therefore my tax due didn't change.

Since I instructed TurboTax 2020 to import directly from the Amended 2019 return that I prepared but not mailed yet, the carry forward numbers are automatically updated to the correct ones.

The question remains whether I still need to file the Amended 2019, or whether using the corrected carryovers for the 2020 is enough.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies