Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfey
Level 2

Pass-thru trust Form 1041 accepted by the IRS, then I found big error in O&G depletion allowance. No tax or refund change, but how to I amend return and K1's?

Pass-thru trust has no tax obligation or refund due, but needs to amend return & issue corrected K-1's. How do I do it as soon as possible?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Pass-thru trust Form 1041 accepted by the IRS, then I found big error in O&G depletion allowance. No tax or refund change, but how to I amend return and K1's?

Did you use TurboTax Business to prepare the 1041?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you prepared the original trust return in TurboTax Business, you can prepare and file an amended return once the IRS has processed the original return. 

The amended K-1s can be distributed to the beneficiaries when the amended return is ready, so they have the correct information for their personal returns. But you should wait to file the amended return until you are certain the IRS has processed the original (this can take months). Acceptance by the IRS is not the same as processed.

When you open TurboTax Business, click on Amend a Return at the bottom of the screen before you open the original trust return. Immediately save this file with a new name that includes "Amended" so there is no confusion in the future.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Further, note that you will have to print and mail the amended return (1041) as TurboTax Business does not support e-filing amended returns after the original return is e-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies