Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paid Back Taxes to Wrong Tax Year

Hi. My relative did not file 2018 taxes and did file 2019 taxes.  In 2019 they had no tax obligation.  In catching up, this year they should have filed 2018 taxes and instead filed 2019 taxes accidentally -- so double-filed for 2019 -- this time with an obligation that they paid.  What can they do to reverse/correct the error?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The IRS might catch the error and adjust the return. Contact the IRS with any questions. 

Thank you for your reply.

I contacted the IRS on their behalf and after an hour reached a human who deals with amended returns. He said we were in the wrong place and forwarded my call to someone else, at which point the call dropped. Are there any search terms you'd suggest that might show a more direct way to reach the right person? Or where to go within the IRS phone system to reach the right person?  I expect to have to wait on hold for a long time, but I'm afraid of another transfer ...

OK ... first if they filed a second 2019 return using the 2018 information it will be ignored  since you cannot file the same tax year twice unless you amend the original return.  If they sent a payment with the second filing then it should be returned due to the rejected return.

Next ... if they still need to file a 2018 return and they owe they need to file it ASAP even if they don't send the payment with the return ... the IRS will bill them later.  However any refund is forfeited at this late date. 

Thank you. This is helpful.

If I understand correctly:

1.  The 2nd 2019 tax return will be rejected. (I assume my relative will get a notification that his return was rejected?)

2. He sent payment electronically to the IRS and indicated that it was for the 2019 tax year. Are you saying this payment is lost and no refund or credit is possible?

The overpayment should be returned. But any refund from the 2018 return will be forfeited. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies