Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Larry793

Paid 2023 estimated tax (too much) when I filed for extension

I was locked out of my TurboTax account, so I could not file for extension using TurboTax; filed by paper form instead and sent check forestimated tax. Since then created new account and got TurboTax 2023 installed and completed my taxes with it.  Amount owed Feds was less than I paid when I filed for extension by mail. TT 2023 at filing does not offer any option to credit me for my mailed extension check, since I am now owed a refund from the Feds.  Have not e-filed yet since I do not want to pay them the calculated tax when they owe me money. How do I get credit for my (over)payment and get the remainder returned using the e-file options?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In the Search box type "estimated tax payments" (without the quotes, and be sure to include the last S), then click the link that says "Jump to estimated tax payments." That takes you to the screen that says "Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid." Scroll down a little to the second section, "Payments with Extension." Click the Start button for "Payment with 2023 federal extension" and enter the amount you paid. It will be credit towards what you owe, and you will get a refund for the excess. In your tax return the amount that you paid with the extension will appear on Schedule 3 line 10.

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies