Original signature required by IRS after electroni...

davidyeh

Original signature required by IRS after electronic filing

After filing federal tax return electronically this year, I received a letter from IRS requesting original signature. They printed out my Form 1040 and mailed to me for original signature. I have been filing using Turbo Taxes for many years now. This is the first time, I have to mailed in my original signature. 

Not sure if this is a mistake on IRS' part.

macuser_22

Is there a letter number (such as LTR xxxx) or form number on the letter?     Does it tell you why they are asking for that?

davidyeh

The letter from IRS is Form 3531. The first box is the only one checked. it says my return lacks a valid original signature.

macuser_22

Usually the 3531 for is for mailed returns that lack a signature, not for e-filed returns.    There should be a IRS phone number on the form to call for more information.     This might be an IRS error.