Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GScott2

Online v desktop PIN discrepancy

i filed online last year and entered a PIN that i forgot. This year i filed using a desktop application and entered a new PIN. I just got rejected after verifying last year's AGI. How to i get around the PIN discrepancy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Most likely the PIN request is asking for the IP (Identity Protection) PIN and not the e-file Pin that you are entering.  If someone on this return requires an IP PIN, you will need to enter the IRS provided pin for that person.

To enter the IP PIN, go to the search bar and enter "IP PIN" without quotes.  See below.  Then click jump to.

IRS' FAQ about IP PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IF...if you are actually asking about the 5-digit filing PIN, (and NOT the 6-digit IP-PIN)

The

If you log into your online account from last year, and download a NEW PDF copy of last year's tax file.

That big new PDF file will contain an Information Worksheet,  And on the last page (4) of that Info Worksheet is the 5-digit PIN you used last year.

Try that.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies