Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

One Turbo Tax program, 3 returns, 1 now missing

We have the desktop download of Turbo Tax Deluxe. My husband & I filed our joint return, then 1 daughter (24) used it to file her return.  Then our other daughter (22) was home from college on spring break so we let HER use it to file hers using the TT also.  I was just checking to see the status of hers and  noticed that only 2 returns are now listed in the TT file, mine and the younger daughter's, no sign of my older daughter's, who filed back in February.  I should mention that both girls have the same 1st initial, I'm thinking when youngest saved file it had the same name (1st initial & last name) as 1st daughter's--would that erase the 1st one? I'm not finding it anywhere on PC.  Not a HUGE deal, I did print out the paper copies and her return already went through back in Feb, got refund, etc.  Just curious what happened??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I think your analysis is correct. 

It sounds like the 3rd filer (2nd daughter) either reused the 2nd filer's (1st daughter) file or perhaps she saved her file in a different folder.

Unless, someone did backups between these actions, the first file would be gone.

NOTE:  Turbotax usually creates saved files in the same folder.  It us usually under or in the folder named Turbotax.  It is possible that one of the files is saved in a different folder.  To check this, you can search your entire pc for a ".tax2021" file.  If the file is elsewhere, this will find it.

I suggest a warning to both daughters for next year to avoid this.  I also suggest when a return is completed, save a PDF of all the forms, worksheets and data on your computer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I think your analysis is correct. 

It sounds like the 3rd filer (2nd daughter) either reused the 2nd filer's (1st daughter) file or perhaps she saved her file in a different folder.

Unless, someone did backups between these actions, the first file would be gone.

NOTE:  Turbotax usually creates saved files in the same folder.  It us usually under or in the folder named Turbotax.  It is possible that one of the files is saved in a different folder.  To check this, you can search your entire pc for a ".tax2021" file.  If the file is elsewhere, this will find it.

I suggest a warning to both daughters for next year to avoid this.  I also suggest when a return is completed, save a PDF of all the forms, worksheets and data on your computer.

Thank you!  OK,  did that search and nothing was found.  Have indeed spoken to daughters about next time! Have hard copies to work from, so just won't be able to transfer 1 daughter's info as easily (have to do it by hand) if she uses this next year.  Lesson learned!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies