turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rossiram
Returning Member

On my return, I accidentally indicated that my parents could claim me as a dependent. Turns out they are not able to claim me. Do I need to amend? How will this affect my refund or any future economic stimulus payments?

It turns out that I made too much money this year for my parents to claim me as a dependent. When I did my return, I indicated that somebody else is able to claim me as a dependent. Will I need to file an amended return? Will this reduce or increase my refund? If there are any economic stimulus payments in the future, would this prevent me from claiming those? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

On my return, I accidentally indicated that my parents could claim me as a dependent. Turns out they are not able to claim me. Do I need to amend? How will this affect my refund or any future economic stimulus payments?

Yes you need to amend.  Did you already file?  It should increase your refund and you will get the 1400 3rd Stimulus payment on it! 

How to Amend.  You should wait until the first return is done processing and you get the first refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441 

If you were a dependent on a 2020 return but filing independent for 2021 you can get the $1400 now and they don't have to pay it back.  So say NO you did not get one because you didn't one, your parents got it.

The 3rd Stimulus payment is really based on 2021.  The IRS just sent the checks out using 2020 to get them out fast.

See IRS Topic B first question

Questions and Answers about the Third Economic Impact Payment — Topic B: Eligibility and Calculation...

rossiram
Returning Member

I just filed today. Then my mom was doing her taxes right after me, and that's when TurboTax said she can't claim me as a dependent.  How will that affect her 3rd stimulus payment? She received %5,600 (2,800 for filing jointly, $1,400 for my younger brother, and $1,400 for me). Now that it turns out I'm not a dependent, will my parents need to return the $1,400? They have not filed their taxes yet for 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies