turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYS adjusted my refund? What does this mean? Am I being audited?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

It doesn't mean that you are being audited. What generally happens in when the state adjusts the return of the taxpayer they adjusted it based on information they have in their system. You will get a letter in the mail with the explanation as to why it was adjusted, and showing you what they did. If you agree with the adjustment, then there is nothing you need to do unless the adjustment causes you to pay taxes, then you need to pay that.

If you do not agree with the adjustment, you then need to write a letter as to why, and provide them evidence as to why you do not agree with them. They will review it, and then will make a decision as to why they do agree with you or disagree with you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

It doesn't mean that you are being audited. What generally happens in when the state adjusts the return of the taxpayer they adjusted it based on information they have in their system. You will get a letter in the mail with the explanation as to why it was adjusted, and showing you what they did. If you agree with the adjustment, then there is nothing you need to do unless the adjustment causes you to pay taxes, then you need to pay that.

If you do not agree with the adjustment, you then need to write a letter as to why, and provide them evidence as to why you do not agree with them. They will review it, and then will make a decision as to why they do agree with you or disagree with you. 

WillK
Intuit Alumni

What are the common reasons your refund is adjusted? I never had this happen to me
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies