turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter had a summer job in 2018 and earned about $2600. Do I need to include this income on the tax return for my wife and me? And should we file as MFJ or HofH?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenaC

My daughter had a summer job in 2018 and earned about $2600. Do I need to include this income on the tax return for my wife and me? And should we file as MFJ or HofH?

No, you don't claim your daughter's income on your return. She would file her own tax return. 

Note: Make sure she answers that "some else can claim her as a dependent" and "that some else will claim her as a dependent." See the screenshot below.

But even if your income falls below these filing requirements, you'll want to file your own tax return to get a refund of any federal or state taxes withheld from your paychecks.

If you're a dependent, you'll generally need to file your own 2018 tax return if:

• Your earned income (money you made by working) exceeds $12,000, or
  • Your unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) exceeds $1,050, or
  • Your business or self-employment net income (gross minus expenses) is at least $400, or
  • Your gross income (earned plus unearned) exceeds the larger of $1,050 or your earned income (up to $11,650) plus $350.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies