Need Help
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Need Help

I filed my taxes in early April for 2019. I'm self-employed and work part-time. I was filing in order to see if I could get the Economic Impact Payment. I hadn't filed in a year or two because I had been out of work. They were filed and accepted and I set it so that what I owed would be charged from my account at a later date (July 15th). Since then, I have discovered that I am ineligible for the EIP and that I made less income than the necessary amount for the year that requires someone to file in my state. Right now I am unsure what to do because I do not have enough money in my account and will not be able to cover the cost of the taxes I owe. I'm not sure if the money I owe is even legitimately owed since I made less than the required amount of income in 2019 that necessitates filing. 


I've tried calling Turbo Tax and after 20 minutes of navigating their phone line and only being able to talk to a computer, I had to give up after another 20 minutes of waiting. I was told the current wait time was 45 to 55 minutes. I tried calling the IRS and they have a similar phone line that seems to be intended to limit the amount of human to human interaction. Their menu is setup with choices so that their calls are eventually dropped and you're told to go online. After a second attempt, I finally got to a menu that had me waiting to speak to a person, but the computer told me the specific topic I was calling in regards to was experiencing high volume and that my call couldn't be taken at that time. I was disconnected.


I'm going to try to call them back. After researching online and attempting to call Turbo Tax and the IRS, I am still unsure what to do to prevent my account from being charged without the funds needed to cover what I owe. I couldn't afford it even if I did have the necessary amount. And I still don't know if I even need to pay if I make under the total amount per year that necessitates an individual to file in the first place. 

2 Replies
Level 15

Need Help



If your return was accepted, you cannot change your payment method  or payment date.  The only thing you can do is cancel the payment and then pay by a different method on your own.


  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to ask about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.


If you were self-employed and earned at least $400, you are required to file a federal return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  State tax laws vary, so we do not know if you have a state filing requirement.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Returning Member

Need Help

Thanks for your reply. I called that number and am being told it's a 60 minute wait time. Will try to hold or call later if I'm on hold too long. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings