Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need help with IRS mistake on short refund than what was in Turbotax filing

Details:
- filed an extension on 4/15/24 for 2023 tax return because delayed home sell via Turbotax. but paid $10k to IRS proactively during extension to avoid future interest.
- I filed my tax return on 7/7/24 electronically via Turbotax. Refund requested was 20503.00
- IRS refunded me with $10503.00 on 7/31/24 which was short by exactly $10,000 which is also the amount i sent to IRA during filing extension.

I am trying to have IRS review this and correct the mistake.
I tried xxx xxx xxxx more than 20 times with prompts that allows human conversation but every time i ran into "we are very busy, try other times". Need help, dont know what to do.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How did you pay it?  By check or online?  If you said it was an estimated payment they may have applied it to next year’s tax return.  

What line does your 10,000 payment show up on?  It should be on scheduled 3 line 10. And go to 1040 line 31.  If its on line 26 that was for an estimated payment not an extension payment and the IRS will think you didn’t pay it.  

It was via Turbotax online. i provided checking account for withdrawal.

it is on line 26 "2023 estimated tax payments and amount applied from 2022 return" as well as Schedule 3 line 10 and resulted into line 31.

does that mean in 2024 filing, i can apply 10k towards what i owe?. wording is tricky, it says "2023 estimated tax payments and amount applied from 2022 return".

It was on both line 26 and 31?  Then it was entered twice.  It should only be on 1 line, line 31.  You tried to get credit twice.  You only paid it once.  The IRS is right.  Your refund is only 10,503.  Did you enter it on your return as a payment?  You should not have entered it.  It automatically got on your return when you filed the extension.  

No you cant put it on your 2024 return.  

let me attach 2 screenshots that shows both Screenshot 2024-09-13 212951.jpgScreenshot 2024-09-13 213042.jpg

So did you make a separate estimated payment in addition to the 10,000 extension payment?  The payment with the extension is NOT an estimated payment.  Estimated payments are quarterly payments you made in 2023 for 2023.  How much actually came out of your bank account?  10,000 or 20,000?  The 10,000 payment got doubled up on your tax return.  You must have entered it as an estimated payment but it was already listed as an extension payment.   

Look at the actual 1040 tax return.  Lines 25-31 are all the payments you made from withholding and estimates and the extension.  Did you make all those payments?  The 10,000 is listed twice.    

you are right.

i am not sure how estimated payments got into my Turbotax fill out.

i have corrected my papers.

I really appreciate very sincere and diligent response.

I have been using turbotax for 10 years now and love having control and understanding on what i am doing and how taxes work in different category and situations (or at least what i understand so far).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies