Sheatucker

Names

My step daughter has had the last name for her whole life and I been using on my taxes this Oct her name changed to her father's name I forgot to change it will this effect me 

CatinaT1

Names

If it does, your return will be rejected and be able to correct it.  Persons on a tax return are verified against what is on file with Social Security

malu

Names

my last name is too long what I has to do it because that was the cause my return was reject, how ca I fix it??????

CatinaT1

Names

What is verified is the last 4 digits of your social security number and the first 4 letters of your last name, so your last name being too long would not cause a reject.

Persons on a tax return are verified against what is on file with Social Security.  Sometime people have two middle names or two last names.  You can try a different combination if this is the case.  Sometimes Social Security may only use one of the last names or may think part of the middle name is part of a last name.  Also verify you are using the right social security number and the correct date of birth.