Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thelms22

My last years refund was kept by the IRS to pay taxes they said I owed. So I put my refund amount in the spot saying my refund went to pay taxes for 2017. Is that right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My last years refund was kept by the IRS to pay taxes they said I owed. So I put my refund amount in the spot saying my refund went to pay taxes for 2017. Is that right?

No...paying off what you owed for prior years is not the same thing.

Indicating it is used for 2017 taxes is only to be used if they "would have" returned the entire amount to you had you elected to receive a check....but you indicated at that time to roll the refund into your 2017 taxes instead

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No...paying off what you owed for prior years is not the same thing.

Indicating it is used for 2017 taxes is only to be used if they "would have" returned the entire amount to you had you elected to receive a check....but you indicated at that time to roll the refund into your 2017 taxes instead

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies