turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal tax return was accepted however my state is still pending. Will it be accepted by tomorrow's extension deadline?

The reason I filed an extension and did them 5 days before the extension deadline is because I was locked out of my old account and the agent was misinformed and told me to make a new account, which I did. However I needed by 2021 and 2022 taxes and AGI from the prior year to do my taxes.   The agent helped me follow through with e-filing, not mailing it in. It's been 3 days and deadline is tomorrow 10/15. The federal was accepted today however the Indiana state return is still pending. Should it be accepted by tomorrow? And is there a possibility of them denying Indiana state return but accepting Federal return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My federal tax return was accepted however my state is still pending. Will it be accepted by tomorrow's extension deadline?

Should be ok.  Just wait.  If state rejects you can fix it and resend it.  I think you have 5 days to resend it.  

The state and the IRS have completely different systems.  Certainly one could be accepted faster than the other.

Most of the time, proof that you filed before the deadline is enough, even if the return is not accepted until after the deadline.  And if the return is rejected for some reason, you generally have a 5 day grace period to correct the error and resubmit, or mail the return if you can't correct the error.

And lastly, if you are expecting a refund, there is generally no penalty for filing late, because the penalty is a percentage of what you owe.  That's true for the IRS and most states, although I did not look up Indiana specifically. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies