My federal refund is wrong

IRS adjusted my refund from $9973 to $1817.  How this when wrong?

My federal refund is wrong

When the IRS sends the letter of explanation you will know what they changed ... check here for a possible hint  :  https://www.irs.gov/refunds

My federal refund is wrong

@bbouthsarath - most every one who posts saying their refund was reduced by the IRS comes down to one of two issues:

1) what is on Line 28 - the Advance Child tax credit

2) what is on Line 30 - the Recovery Rebate (stimulus)

in both cases you were asked during the interview process to enter what you had already received for these two benefits. 

whatever you entered is matched by the IRS to what they know they sent you.  if it doesn't match, the IRS will reduce your refund by the difference because you are in effect trying to claim the same benefit twice.

what is on Lines 28 and 30 of your form 1040? if you post those two numbers. I suspect I can figure out why this issue occured. 

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing