Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal 2016 is 0. cannot print out federal. Only shows state for printing.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you had no 2016 earned income, then there will never be any SS credits for that year.

If you want to just update your Soc Sec record to show that, add $1 of interest and efile Federal.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

What income did you enter?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

no income for 2016.  0 entered.

Why are you trying to prepare a federal return with no income?  For what purpose?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I thought you had to for social security to show every year

No.  If your only income was Social Security you are not required to file a tax return.  Or if you had no income at all, you are not required to file a federal tax return.  If you have earnings that were reported on a W-2 that information is reported to SS by the employer.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return">https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-...>

Does your state tax Social Security benefits?

Not on social security yet.  Received my social security info where it lists each year & it shows for 2016 "not yet recorded".  Turning 62 this year & will file for ss.

If you had no 2016 earned income, then there will never be any SS credits for that year.

If you want to just update your Soc Sec record to show that, add $1 of interest and efile Federal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies