turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Fed Refund held up. Error 1242 code. When I called the IRS, they said it was a 14402 Section 6702(d). Frivolous Tax Submission. Anyone else experiencing this?

Called experts -- no help. Have to wait for a letter from the IRS or a phone call for instructions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My Fed Refund held up. Error 1242 code. When I called the IRS, they said it was a 14402 Section 6702(d). Frivolous Tax Submission. Anyone else experiencing this?

what the IRS is apparently saying is that on the return you submitted there was a substantial underreporting of income or overstatement of expenses.  you could be hit with a civil penalty of $5000 but form 14402 can be used to reduce this penalty. 

My income is based on Social Security and withdrawals from an IRA.  I'm retired and I take the standard deductions. But I believe something else is the issue.  I'm told I have to wait for them to call me or send me a letter. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Did you claim any dependents?  Normally the code is used to freeze your refund until the IRS ask for more information.  Generally, it is dependent identity information and they may want copies of Birth certificates or evidence the dependent actually lived with you.

You are asking from TT Live.  Did your Live Expert prepare or review the return?

Thanks for the update. We are a married couple, filing jointly for the past 56 years. No new dependents on this return. 

Yes. I did the TT review.  No help at this point.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies