Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter's last name was wrong on her W-2s. Her employer sent the form for correction and have be waiting for the go ahead to file her taxes, Can she file now?

Can she file right now with turbo tax or have to get an extension?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

My daughter's last name was wrong on her W-2s. Her employer sent the form for correction and have be waiting for the go ahead to file her taxes, Can she file now?

Yes, you can file now.  There is no need to wait as long as the numbers are correct, she is good to go. 

When they update the name on the W2C, it went to the IRS which means, they would have the corrected information when they process her return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file now.  There is no need to wait as long as the numbers are correct, she is good to go. 

When they update the name on the W2C, it went to the IRS which means, they would have the corrected information when they process her return. 

TomD8
Level 15

Tip: her tax return may be rejected unless the name on her tax return matches her name as it appears on her current Social Security card.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Tom is right that the IRS could reject the name on the W-2 on e-file, although it is usually the name at the top of the 1040 that the IRS worried about.

However, the IRS changes its e-file rules constantly, so who knows?

We all encourage you to go ahead and e-file and hope for the best.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies