Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wmonroe

My bank wants copies of the digitally signed 1040s for 1014 and 2015. How do I get those? They will not accept: me printing copy & signing manually or the IRS transcript

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My bank wants copies of the digitally signed 1040s for 1014 and 2015. How do I get those? They will not accept: me printing copy & signing manually or the IRS transcript

Your bank are idiots.

There is no such thing as a digitally signed tax return.

There is an electronic postmark/proof of filing, that will be one of the pages of the PDF package if you print "all forms and worksheets."

The IRS transcript is 100% proof of what you submitted, and I have never applied for a loan or mortgage (or family and friends I know of) when the bank would not accept a printed copy of the tax returned signed in ink.

You need to contact this loan processors supervisor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your bank are idiots.

There is no such thing as a digitally signed tax return.

There is an electronic postmark/proof of filing, that will be one of the pages of the PDF package if you print "all forms and worksheets."

The IRS transcript is 100% proof of what you submitted, and I have never applied for a loan or mortgage (or family and friends I know of) when the bank would not accept a printed copy of the tax returned signed in ink.

You need to contact this loan processors supervisor.

What they probably want is IRS form 8879 which is a "e-file Signature authorization" form that authorizes a paid tax preparer ( electronic return originator (ERO)) to e-file a tax return on your behalf.  It contains some information from your tax return, the efile pin (electronic signature) and your written signature.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf</a>

TurboTax is *self-prepared* so the 8879 form does not exist since you cannot "authorize" yourself to e-file your own tax return.  Only a paid tax preparer would give you that form that e-files the return for you.   

Some banks are years behind the times and still don't have a clue that many people e-file their own tax returns using tax software so they will not have the "required" 8879 form since it does not exist.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My bank wants copies of the digitally signed 1040s for 1014 and 2015. How do I get those? They will not accept: me printing copy &amp; signing manually or the IRS transcript

Or the bank clerk collecting documents is looking at an all-encompassing list. A friend of mine is doing a mortgage refi, and the lender keeps insisting on W-2 forms, even though my friend is self-employed, and has been for years.

My bank wants copies of the digitally signed 1040s for 1014 and 2015. How do I get those? They will not accept: me printing copy &amp; signing manually or the IRS transcript

The actual underwriter may know what is going on but you never meet the underwriter.  The person you meet is basically a sales person working from a printed list of documents.  My son-in-law had his downpayment funds in an investment fund that only issues statements every 6 months.  The bank insisted on two consecutive quarterly statements.  After telling them over and over again, they bank finally accepted two *identical* semiannual statements but they had to be notarized by the investment manager.  Sigh.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies