Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Agi is gonna change from 24000 to 13800 after the 10200 une.ploy.ent deduction. Do I lower my tax bracket by this? I guesstimate

Please advise
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My Agi is gonna change from 24000 to 13800 after the 10200 une.ploy.ent deduction. Do I lower my tax bracket by this? I guesstimate

Yes you will owe less tax or get a refund.  Did you already file?  

If you have filed. The IRS will recalculate your return for the new 10,200 unemployment exemption for you. There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

See new article May 14, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

If you have not filed, Turbo Tax is updated for the 10,200 exemption.  You don't have to do anything special to get it.  It is automatic.  Just enter the full amount on your 1099G.  Your unemployment compensation will be on Schedule 1 line 7.  The exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies