Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2022 return didn't included a donation because my dad couldn't find the receipt. We found the receipt for the donation and would like to amend our 2022 return. How?

Fed and CA filing, began process but not sure it's correct.  Not sure how amendment will get processed to get us our refund; documents show $0.  We have desktop version of turbo tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2022 return didn't included a donation because my dad couldn't find the receipt. We found the receipt for the donation and would like to amend our 2022 return. How?

You added the new donation before you did the amended process?  That is wrong.  Put your return back to the way it was originally filed.  THEN start the Amended return. The refund monitor at the top should go to zero.  Then add the new donation.  

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

View solution in original post

Thanks, i did revert my 2022 back to original after checking if I would get additional refund.  I will look in the those area for the adjustments to see if it's worth filing amendment.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Did you itemize?  What do you mean documents show zero?

Not sure if return was itemized or not.  I will enter information and then pick which ever deductions turbo tax says is best.  

when I went back into the 2022 version of turbo tax and included the donated item; it was significant.  So, I tried the amendment process through turbo tax and the amendment paper showed I owed zero.  However, it wasn’t showing the amount that was a refund difference if I just included it into my 2022 returns.

Not sure if return was itemized or not.  I will enter information into turbo tax and then pick which ever deductions turbo tax says is best; ie standard/itemized.

when I went back into the 2022 version of turbo tax and included the donated item; it was significant.  So, I tried the amendment process through turbo tax and the amendment paper showed I owed zero.  However, it wasn’t showing the amount that was a refund difference if I just included it into my 2022 returns.

Looked into my 2022 taxes further and did have a schedule A (itemized deductions) included in my filing.  Does this help my situation?

ee-ea
Level 15

Still can't figure out why if I just open up my 2022 return and enter the donation its shows me an additional $3k refund.  However, when I do the amend process but the amount on the amendment never changes, it just stays at $0; shouldn't it reflect the addtl refund amount?  Thanks

You added the new donation before you did the amended process?  That is wrong.  Put your return back to the way it was originally filed.  THEN start the Amended return. The refund monitor at the top should go to zero.  Then add the new donation.  

Then the amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Thanks, i did revert my 2022 back to original after checking if I would get additional refund.  I will look in the those area for the adjustments to see if it's worth filing amendment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies