Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WILLIAMHHARRISON
Returning Member

My 1040X print form is showing the amended amounts as the original amounts. The screen titled "Your Amended Return Summary",shows the correct Original Amounts.

I am amending my 2017, but when I preview the 1040X to be printed, it shows the amended amounts as the Original Amounts, resulting in 0 for all the Net Change amounts, and then shows the Correct amounts correctly.  Just before getting to the screen to print the returns, though, the screen titled "Your Amended Return Summary" shows all the correct Original, Amended, and Change Amounts. 

I do not want to file an incorrect 1040X.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
WILLIAMHHARRISON
Returning Member

My 1040X print form is showing the amended amounts as the original amounts. The screen titled "Your Amended Return Summary",shows the correct Original Amounts.

I posted this question and then figured out the problem.  When you amend the return, you can save it and it will be have all the correct amounts on the 1040X.  The problem of incorrect amounts I posted above seems to have resulted from my saving the amended file a second time, changing the name while saving.  TurboTax somehow interpreted this as my filing an amendment to the amendment.  

To correct the problem, I left the incorrect file, opened the original 2017 return and began the amendment process again.  I was careful to save it only once under the name of my choosing.  I can now save it and open it again and resave it, as long as the name is not changed a second time.

I think this is what solved the problem, regardless, I now have a correct 1040X and other tax forms to file for an amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies