Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mistake

So I did tax for my sister and I accidentally pressed independent  but she does live w family. And I think she got more money for Covid money/ stimulus check thing. If she got reported can she go to the jail ? And she’s under 18. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Mistake

She will not go to jail.  Since she is under 18, the IRS will likely question her "independence" and adjust accordingly.  So wouldn't file an amended return just yet.

Mistake

No your sister will not go to jail for a mistake on an income tax return.   BUT.....if she can be claimed as someone else's dependent (parents) then she cannot receive that stimulus $1400 and if she did get it back as part of a tax refund she has to pay it back to the IRS.

She (or you--since you are the one who prepared the return) needs to prepare an amended return and change the answer in My Info to the question of if she can be claimed as someone else's dependent.   She has to say YES that she can be claimed.   She will have to pay back that $1400 recovery rebate credit.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441

Do not amend until the original return has been fully processed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Mistake

Thank you for the reply. And ok! Thank you so much!! 

Mistake

Thank you so much. This is so understandable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies