Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mattkage

Got a reference number 1541 from the irs

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
KaseyG

1541 is an an internal code that the IRS uses to identify returns that have been "Delayed". This doesn't mean there is something wrong with your return, it could simply be that the IRS has an overflow of returns at this time and is behind schedule on issuing refunds. There are different reasons accounting for the 1541 reference number.

To be absolutely sure on the status of your refund, I would recommend to contact the IRS directly mention the reference the code 1541 to them. You can reach them at +1(800) 829-1040. Check Where's My Refund? as well tor tracking the refund.

I had the worst experience with the IRS rep that was unwilling to give me any information. She was huffing and puffing the whole time. I asked her if she wasn’t willing to help with the status on my return to transfer me to someone that can. I don’t understand why the irs call Center reps are so rude. This isn’t the first tine and I’m sure I’m not the only one that has experienced an unpleasant conversation with these reps.
b_borth

@maria.chagoya12 same thing happened to me when I called... frustrating to say the least.

They had me waiting other this path act just to get this code. I am behind on rent my car broke down and this was suppose to get me back to work. If this delays any longer I won't have a room to go to. Just so annoying I filed the previous three years just fine
danielandkellyfi
Returning Member

Same! We filed & were accepted 1/31/18.
On February 13th, our onlune status went from the PATH message to the message regarding reference code 1541 and to ask for extension 312. The rep said our return was "delayed" due to "re-examination" & that the "re-examination" case was closed on February 15th. When I inquired as to WHY, no answer was given. THEN, I was told it could take up to 90 days to receive our refund. WTH??
I then asked if our refund would be mailed or deposited to our banking account specified on our e-file paperwork and she put me on hold. Then she disconnected after I'd been on hold an additional 17 minutes!!
Total hold time to reach that rep on that ONE call was over 2.5 hours. So aggravated and frustrated that I was in tears today trying to reach an available representative...to NO avail.
sdinger2

A lot of people are getting this from what I see in one of my tax groups. And it's mostly people with earned income child credits stuff like that. They're also making people do verification and all kinds of stuff. I've been at the 1541 sense I want to say around the 21st or something . I also have to file injured spouse so that holds mine up anyways.
sdinger2

Is it nice they get a interest-free loan all year long but then when you want your money back you have to wait. And that's the God's honest truth, because if most of us did not claim 0 or 1 on our forms we wouldn't have a refund because our paycheck would be more and they would have that free loan.
sdinger2

Would not*

I called and they told me they need further verification on the credits I claimed. They said I will receive the letter last week or this week . Today is friday and I haven't receive no letter!!!

1541 just mean you refund was put on hold if you have the child credit until February 15 that when they will release those with the reference code 1541

noliveria

Is this for everyone?

Mine has the same thing on it when I called the lady told me that my refund was selected for review and it takes up to 45 days for them to review it and the date shown on her computer was April 18 and if I dont get my refund by then to call them back. I have never been through anything like this I need my money now. And I file the same job same 2 kids every year so why is mine up for review it wasnt last year and the year brfore that.
donte-collins15
Returning Member

I am in the same boat. I called yesterday to find out what the 1541 reference number meant and was told that my return was selected for review which wouldn't start until 4 March and they (IRS) has upto 45 to review my return. At the latest I should receive my tax refund no later than 18 April as mention in previous comment. A friend of mine had this happen a few years ago and normally they refund you earlier than expected. The review is for people who applied with the Child tax credit, as we all know for years people have been claiming other people's children and splitting the amount. I wouldn't worry so much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies